Saturday, April 27, 2013

Springtime Friday Afternoon Hike

Finally Spring has finally arrived! How do I know? Well, the FOTY (first of the year) Broad-tailed Hummingbirds are buzzing around my yard and lapping up the nectar in the feeder.  One male arrived yesterday.  The temps are in the mid to upper 60Fs and the sun is shining brightly!

Late afternoon brought on the "sleepies", so I thought to myself that I could either lie down and take a nap or go outside and enjoy this wonderful weather while it lasts!  Not a hard choice.  I decide to hike up along the ridge line trail above the house.  So off I go, walking through my yard to my neighbor's trailhead to get up the hill.  On the way, my neighbor was out working in the yard so I stop to chat a bit.  He warned me that the last 3 times he and his dogs had been up, they had run into a cow and calf moose.  So off I tread, making noise along the way and keeping my eyes out for the pair; however, no moose were seen today. 




Along the narrow trail up hill,  I stop in a clearing to look back from where I had just come.

You can see the 2nd story and the balcony of my house just at the edge of the trees. 






Also along the trail I notice the budding Hawthorne trees. 



Also Glacier Lilies... 



and Shortstyle Bluebells were blooming.


My house sits at an elevation of 5100' +/-.  The top of the ridge is around 5450'.  About half way uphill, I come upon what I call the lower ridge road.  I follow it until I get to a 3 way intersection, naturally I take the one on the right leading to the top!



About half way up to the top, again I stop to look back from where I had come.

I reach the top out of breath, of course!  The wind is at a gale, a steady 10mph wind with occasional gusts that I have to brace against.  The view is spectacular.
Looking West (Weber Canyon)

South

South East towards the city of Morgan

East

North.
The snow covered peak in the far distance is Powder Mountain Ski Resort.  You also notice the wide path here which is used by ATVs to turn around.

North East
(Snow Basin Ski Resort is along the right side of the mountain.)
I continue along the trail heading North enjoying the quiet except the crunch of my feet along the path.

The terrain here consists of crumbling shale rock, sagebrush and low standing scrub oak trees.

At the bottom of this long stretch I make a turn downhill to reconnect up with the lower ridge road again and return home.
All the while enjoying the views along the way!


Along the trail, an Old World Swallowtail dances in front of me before landing on the sagebrush.  This was the only shot I could get of him as he quickly took to flight, got caught up in a gust of wind and flew (blew) away!

I think the wind kept most of the birds away or down on the ground, but I did see a few:
American Robin
Spotted Towhee
Black-capped Chickadee
Black-billed Magpie
Tree Swallow


Thanks for taking a walk with me in My Mountain Green!




5 comments:

grammie g said...

HI Kathryn...I was just leaving blog and I saw your post show on my list,I said I better do it now,and so glad I did !!
I so enjoyed taking this hike!! Spectacular views, and what nice trials to walk!
A Swallowtail,Glacier Lilies,and Bluebells ( they remind me of Forget-me-Knots) makes it even better!! : )
Thanks for sharing
Grace
PS is there always some snow that remains on the mountain top?

Roy Norris said...

You live in a wonderful part of the World Kathryn, amazing scenery. I guess you have to pinch yourself sometimes to realise it. Lovely shot of the Swallowtail.
Thanks for taking us on the walk.

Kathryn said...

Grace, glad you enjoyed the walk! Almost all the snow will melt by the end of July or August with only a little snow in crevices remaining.

Kathryn said...

Roy, yes I do live in a wonderful part of the world, and sadly I do have to remind myself when I start to complain about winter! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Kathie Brown said...

Okay Kathryn, next time I am coming to visit you and you are going to take me hiking on this trail! I love it!